Wednesday, February 11, 2009

To the library

This is a new feature: A huge library-fan, I'm going to write a weekly post about some or all of the books I check out on Wednesdays (the day I go to the library to get books to use in my children's literature classes at Queens College). Since the kidlitosphere and classrooms are dominated by fiction, I'll feature nonfiction books--my preference & what many teachers report kids prefer, when given a choice.

"In 1928, an artist named Wanda Gag created her first book for children. The lively tale was about an old man in search of one kitten. Except that he didn't just find one cat, he found. . . ." That's how author/illustrator Deborah Kogan Ray begins her marvelous book Wanda Gag: The Girl Who Lived to Draw (Viking, 2008). The subject--Wanda Gag, the creator of Millions of Cats--caught my attention. The lush illustrations grabbed my eyes and the engaging text had me turning the pages. There are 18 half- and 3/4-pages of brightly colored, evocative illustrations. Each text page begins with a quote in italics from Gag's writings. Ray doesn't shy away from Gag's difficult growing up years and highlights her resilience and determination. In her author's note, I wish Ray would have told readers whether or not the Gag's father really told her: "Always look at the world in your own way, Wachachen." Guess I'll need to find out myself because that matters in nonfiction! Tomorrow I'll see whether or not it grabs Sophie.

Going Back Home; An Artist Returns to the South, pictures by Michele Wood, story interpreted and written by Toyomi Igus (Children's Book Press, 1996) It's Wood's story of her search for her family history in the southern United States that Igus interprets. Her crisp and clear narrative is just the right accompaniment for Wood's richly detailed powerful paintings. I love her use of blues, the hen, her reds and brown. Igus includes explanations of details in various paintings, e.g. the square on Wood's forehead in her self portrait on the last page.

I selected Making Your Mark, Franklin Roosevelt by Judith St. George, illustrated by Britt Spencer (Philomel, 2007) to take to my "History Through Literature" class, but never did take it out of my bag. Why? Most likely because I'm ambivalent about the book. The illustrations are caricatures, even cartoonish. The text bounces from straight forward to cutesy. Although some teachers report that kids like that style, I think it trivializes history. I'll try again next week and see what everyone thinks. There's a brief author's note that does what most author do re FDR--give him all the credit for everything. As the biographer of Frances Perkins (A Woman Unafraid: The Achievements of Frances Perkins), his secretary of labor from twelve years, that's always irks me!

As for my other reading, I am, of course, still immersed in the stacks of materials by and about Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony for my project Stirring Up the World. I'm also reading Adam Cohen's excellent book--he does do justice to Frances Perkins--Nothing to Fear: FDR's Inner Circle and the Hundred Days That Created Modern America.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Penny,
I came across your fine review of my book "Wanda Gag: the Girl Who Lived to Draw" on your blog -- and wanted to answer the question you raised about the quote It is direct source via Wanda Gag's personal papers that are in the Rare Books and Manuscript Department at University of Pennsylvania Van Pelt Library . She was a prolific correspondent, as well as diary keeper, and refers to her father saying to her "look at the world in your own way", as well as many other observations on what it means to an artist, in a number of letters and entries. I added the "Wandachen" -- which is the diminutive that "Papa" (and others) called her as a child -- as a means of personalizing.
Thank you for asking -- too few teachers or reviewers ever question. I was going to answer in your blog, but was intrigued to find out more about you and went to your web page. And wow! I found I've been a fan of your work. I loved "Rosie the Riveter", "Mother Jones" as well as your other books about girls and women. I heard your NPR interview on Frances Perkins, and had it on my list of books to order. You write about the people whose stories should be told. And from your excellent web page I see that we share many common interests.
So once again I thank the "world wide web" for finding a kindred spirit.
Hope to hear from you, and that my answer was helpful.