Tuesday, February 24, 2009

To the Library for nonfiction books

I, 2, 3, Go (Henry Holt, 2000) written and illustrated by Huy Voun Lee, who was born in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, and moved to the U.S. in 1975. A simple introduction to 21 characters in the written language of China. The numbers (1-10) and words (catch, stomp, hit, push, carry, pull, tiptoe, jump, kick, run, go)-- are presented on double spread pages with energetic, bold illustrations of children demonstrating the characters, e.g. "eight" and "jump" has a stop-action illustration of eight girls and boys jumping. I love Author's Notes, and Huy Voun Lee's is informative and helpfully placed at the beginning of her unpaged picture book. I'll see what Sophie thinks of this book tomorrow. Gettysbury; A Graphic Novel, caught my eye as I was leaving the library with my stack of books; so I grabbed it and returned to the checkout counter. (I've been curious about graphic nonfiction ever since the concept appeared in the last book contract I signed.) I skimmed through it with mild interest; the blue lettering and images are effective (note: there are graphic depictions of dead soldiers). His series of illustrations for Lincoln's words will delight progressive readers and are/could be a springboard for interesting discussions. I reread it with great interest after I got to the end and discovered Butzer's excellent Author's Note in which he describes each frame and gives the source for quotes and information. If you decide to check out this book, read the Author's Note first! Butzer includes women and for more check out "Women at the Battle of Gettysburg: Understanding the Civil War from a Different Perspective," an excellent presentation (there's a link to a video on YouTube with more links to interesting videos) by historian Jane Peters Estes at the Camden County Historical Society at http://historiccamdencounty.com/ccnews111.shtml

No comments: