Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Road Trip



Back from our road trip north to Quebec, east to Tadoussac, ferry boat across the wide St. Lawrence River, south through New Brunswick & Maine, west across Massachusetts, south through Connecticut, New York, home--quick summary: discovered 3 terrific used book stores; went whale watching & saw porpoises, harbor seals, minke whales and many beluga whales; long walks through beautiful forests (but, oh, so many black flies that inflicted serious damage!!)--the muffins I made (previous post) saved us several times, including the night we ended up eating muffins, a banana, cheese & crackers for dinner.
Returned late last night, up early to begin teaching a nonfiction literature class at Queens College. The pics are the front & back of a beluga whale t-shirt I bought for Sophie at the The Center d'interpretation des manniferes marins (Center for Interpretation of Marine Mammals)in Tadoussac. Quebec, of course, is French speaking so the five behaviors pictured on the back are in French, which Marilou, the super attentive guide translated as: (top to bottom, l to r) porpoising, birthing, tail flapping, eye-spying, nursing, feeding. The artist is Frederick Bach. Check out the center at http://www.gremm.org
Note: the URL will take you to a page where you'll need to click on that URL again.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI, Penny,
Since I'm now on vacation, I've been out of touch and am just catching up with your blog. I checked out the website of the cross country trip in the Maxwell. (I remember Jack Benny joking about his car, a Maxwel, on radio!) I was interested to read about your recent adventure. My mom went to Tadoussac with her school teacher pals, probably about 1925. I think they were on a cruise on the St. Lawrence. I remember her talking about how beautiful it was. Is there a big, old hotel there still?? You really covered a lot of ground.
I left school two days early on June 4th and we traveled to Geneva, NY to attend my 56th college reunion at Hobart & William Smith Colleges. We were so fortunate: The weather was sunny for the four days of the reunion! The campus looked so gorgeous and the Seneca Lake just magnificent. What fun we had reminiscing with old friends. Ralph and I traveled on to Niagara Falls and had our "adventure" for the summer. It was chilly and rainy there. We took the "Behind the Falls tour". We were wet before we got on the Maid of the Mist. It was so windy, I thought I would blow right off that little boat. The wind was whipping the rain and mist so hard, I couldn't keep my eyes open! Now we're home, and I'm reading YA books and trying to bring order out of chaos in our house. Also, making some needed repairs. Have fun with that 9month old! Love from Dot

Penny said...

Hi Dot,

So interesting to read about your mother's trip to Tadoussac in about 1925. Yes, the Hotel Tadoussac is still there & where we stayed. It's quite the sight with its long red roof (the red is red red, or "double red," to use Sophie's adverb for an intense color). The original was built in 1864 & rebuilt in 1941 after a fire.
During the years I lived near Niagara Falls I visited many times, but never took the Maid of the Mist, Your vivid report was something to read!!!

Happy reading & relaxing!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Penny,
After the Maid of the Mist experience we dried out, warmed up and drove to Niagara on the Lake. At my reunion, so many people advised us to go there, so we squeezed in a trip. What a charming, artistic town. We were able to take a short walk on the main street, admiring all the pretty shops, then had a wonderful dinner at a restaurant called "Zee's", in the Shaw Hotel. It was not crowded, so the waitress spent quite a bit of time telling us all about the area and how they make "ice" wine! Just loved that part of the trip!