Monday, July 21, 2008

Road Trip Map



I've marked women's history sites on every map in the U.S. Before we take a road trip, I update the relevant map(s) and plot our route. Note: The road trip can be for any purpose, i.e. visiting friends/family or driving to a speaking engagement. Regardless of the purpose, I always check to see if I can plot a not-too-far-out-of-the-way detour. For an example of how I incorporated a road trip into my writings, see my essay about Biddy Mason, a former slave, midwife, landowner, philanthropist, in Adventurous Women: Eight True Stories About Women Who Made A Difference. Here's the NYS map we took on our trip 7/18-20/2008. We covered 880 miles (given gas prices--the highest we paid for regular was $4.17--we drove slower and took a cooler with food).

No comments: